linen + lace infinity scarf tutorial

I got a request for a tutorial for the linen & lace infinity scarf I posted yesterday, so I figured I’d share a quick tutorial.
What you’ll need:

16.75″ x 18″ lace
56.25″ x 18″ linen
thread
sewing machine
With WRONG sides together, stitch the lace to the linen strip on both of the short sides using a 3/8″(match the 18″ sides of the linen to the lace), so that you create a circle of fabric.  Trim the seam allowance to 1/4″. Press the seams toward the linen.
This is what it should look like.
Now turn the scarf RS out and press so that the seam allowance is sandwiched in between the linen and lace.
Now stitch another 3/8″ seam.  This will enclose the raw edges.
Now once again press the seam toward the linen and edge stitch it down (along the edge of the lace).
This is what it will look like on the opposite side.
Now edge stitch along the edge of the linen.  And this is what it should look like. And now you know how to do a french seam!!!  So this tutorial is sort of like a two for one deal!  lol
BTW:  Please excuse all my little hairs from the raw edge sticking out…I had forgot to trim the first seam down to 1/4″.
Now finish the long raw edges of the scarf.  I used my narrow hem foot, but it won’t go over the french seam because it’s too much fabric, so I had to do that spot by hand, but if you don’t have a narrow hem foot you could do it by hand.  Just turn the raw edge up 1/4″; press; turn in another 1/4″ the stitch.  You could even do a rolled hem or faux rolled hem.
And that’s it! your done!

Comments

1. LADY JANE says

Thanks for the tutorial….I love it! I have some great vintage lace and linen from an estate sale and can hardly wait to try it! I have a few pieces of satin I want to try it with too! AND lol…now (like your Mom) I need a tutorial on how to get it twisted right when I get it on so that I am a fashionista too!

2. Caity says

I was wondering where you got your lace from, I wanna make one but couldnt find the lace at the store I went to today. Gonna check another store this weekend, but didnt know if you got it from a specific one.

• April says

@Caity The lace was actually leftover from curtains my mom made about 20 years ago. Check joann’s they have craft lace, bridal lace, and they also have lace in the special occasion section. You should be able to find something there. Fabric.com also has a great selection and you can find coupons for both stores online. Check coupon cabin for fabric.com coupons, and joann’s has them on their site or you can download their app if you have a smartphone. Good luck! Love to see it!

• Tania Petry says

Could also upcycle lace from old wedding gowns and prom dresses and the like. Can sometimes find these for not much $$$$ at thrift stores like Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

3. Iwona Tatarkiewicz says

This is a great tutorial! I’m just wondering what size of needles you used, and what your stitch length and tension settings were (if you remember!). My bobbin thread peeks up through the top lace fabric when I’m sewing, and when I adjust the tension the bobbin thread then becomes too loose…any suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

• April says

Thanks Iwona! I’m not sure. My default stitch length is 2.5 mm and tension is usually set just under 4. That’s probably what it was because I rarely change it, and if I do it’s usually noted in my tutorial. The only thing I can think is that maybe you are adjusting the tension too much? Tension is tricky and can vary greatly from machine to machine. Your’s may be super sensitive and the slightest adjustment can make a huge difference. Here’s a post I did on it that might help: http://www.wildflowersandwhimsy.com/2012/05/sewing-school-day-3-tension/ Good luck! I would love to see it when you’re done!

• Kathlene Bradford-Marks says

I teach heirloom sewing. Any time your threads poke up through the top of the fabric, is is usually a matter of the fabric being to light weight. You can simple either put tissue paper (like the kind you wrap a present with) or a light weight tear away stabilizer under the stitching line only. Then you can stitch away. The extra stability of the tissue or stabilizer will allow the feed dogs to whip along w/o any problem. :o)

4. says

This is beautiful. Can I ask a dumb question, but I can’t exactly tell from the finished photos: Did you hem/finish the long sides of the scarf at all?

5. Sharon says

Hi
    I’m sure I’m missing something!!! I see two “tubes” with lace??? Why?
    When I turn them rs out do I gather the top??
    Just not getting one finishing step I think.
    Thanks so much
    Sharon

• April says

@Sharon Sorry, I was making two scarves. lol Sorry about that! Thought I had mentioned it. You should only have one “tube” I was making one for my nanny and one for my mom. That’s why there are two in the pic. : )

6. Kathy Zimmerman says

Hi Love this lace and linen scarf! I want to make it but am confused by the mesurements –56.25″? And 16.75″? 15 and 56 and 1/4 inches? And 16 and 3/4 inches? Math’s never been my strong suit!
    Thanks!!
    Kathy

7. Jennifer S. says

I just made two of these last night for two friends’ double-birthday parties this weekend. The first one I tried to follow your directions to a “T”, but the French seam thing didn’t make sense to me at all. I ended up ripping out the seams and just sewing it right sides together with more luck. That’s what I did for the second as well. I’m bummed I couldn’t figure out the French seams because I totally get why you’d want nice seams on both sides since infinity scarves often show the “wrong” sides too, but I’ll try and tackle it again a different day.

Anyway, with doing it the non-French seam way, I was able to have an entire scarf done (including fabric cutting, etc.) in about 20 minutes. Yay! I used a beautiful striped mint green jersey fabric and found some lovely lace at Jo-Ann’s.

For reference, if you get a half a yard, that is your 18″ right there, so I just got a half a yard of everything, and trimmed a bit of length to get the 56.25″. So if you want to make 2 scarves with the same fabric, get a yard. The 1/2 yard of lace should be enough to make about 4 scarves, depending on how wide the lace is. Most of the fabric I purchased at Jo-Ann’s was 30% off (and most was about $16.99/yard at regular price), so I calculated the cost for everthing, for me at least, to be about $7/ scarf. I found very similar ones on Etsy for $40 each, plus, who doesn’t love a homemade gift? I want to try and tackle the whole French seam thing soon, because I was going to make a few more of these since they’re so quick, to give out as thank you gifts to my daughter’s teachers. Thanks for the inspiration!

Trackbacks